Thursday, March 12, 2015

childs play...

   I realized in my last blog that I eluded to a situation that really does need explaining.  The life changing occurrence I had at thirteen. I was saving this for my next book, but truth is, it may help someone now so I  will share.
   Adolescence is tough enough. There's pimples and fighting over boys. Fear of being considered fat or ugly. Bad grades and periods. Well, that last one is just for us gals...but you get the picture. Anyway...all of these teen angst are bad enough. They need little help in making your life miserable. Now...imagine all of that...then add being a freak on top if it.
   Yes...I said freak. I didn't stutter.  Lol.
   To be fair, I hadn't applied that title to myself. That was done by others. It all started that fateful night when the seven of us decided to "get all spiritual ". It started with a cemetery walk after dark. I was able to keep most of my feelings about that under raps. The fact that I  could hear the spirits. I played along with what my friends said they were "hearing". I didn't dare say...."that's not what he said!". I knew better, even then.
   After that we went back to my friends house and did the whole "light as a feather/stiff as a board thing", which works.  Don't laugh...it's true. We were having a good time till one of the girls said we should try to put eachother in trances. luckily (not) I was to go first. I sat down, Indian style, with one of the girls facing me.
   That is the last thing I remember.  The next thing I knew I saw my friends pouring ice water over the head of the girl who was facing me, as two of the others took turns slapping me. The girl across from me was having a seizure. The first and only one in her life, I later found out.
   Everybody was looking at me so strangely.  I didn't understand what was happening.  They told me that from the moment we sat down, we never broke eye contact. They said I didn't blink. That my friend couldn't look away from me and that she started shaking till she seized fully.
   She's the one who didn't speak to me for almost 5 years after.
   So you see? Teen years suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment