Friday, November 6, 2015

Objectified...

   Now...I know that this blog is supposed to be, primarily, paranormal based. However...since most of us use social media to interact with "like-minded" individuals then this pertains to that as well.

   You see, I learned a very valuable lesson recently. I had already learned the pro's of social media interaction due to the success of my books and the part it played in that. I am forever grateful, too, for that. It made getting my name and my product out there so much easier. It also introduced me to people I never would have met, otherwise. Allowing us to become close and share ideas and dreams for our future in the paranormal field.

   As of late I have been shown the con side of the coin. I have learned that being a woman, on social media, immediately puts a target on you to be the object of desire...and scorn. Funny, really, how the two can go hand in hand, huh?

   The fault, honestly, lies with me. I'm a nice gal. I don't want to ignore anybody. I see every new face as a potential ally, not an enemy.  I see potential readers and people in need of spiritual assistance. I never knew that others saw meat. You know what I mean...they see a woman, they write something funny on her feed, she responds out of kindness and a smidge of obligation...and it's ON. The race has begun to see how fast you can get her to allow uncalled for behavior. When she kindly states that there is a line that can't be crossed, trying very hard to not hurt another's feelings, that line is ignored. When she finally decides that she isn't going to participate in this type of banter she excludes herself and blocks whomever it may be so as to not have to deal with it anymore. Now...you would think all is well, right? No harm, no foul, right?

   Nope.

   As we speak, the person who did not listen to the boundaries of the conversation is more than likely labeling the woman as a bitch or a manhater, therefore discrediting her in the eyes of potential readers. Sound fair? Nah...I didn't think so either. So, I have a question for all you fellas out there. Do you all do this? I mean...it is kinda like junior high school stuff, right? I'm 43 years old, so it's been a long time since I've been in school but this feels like Deja vu. If this was happening to your daughter, would you approve of the situation? Would you like what was going on? Nah...didn't think so.

   For all you nice guys out there...and yes, I KNOW you exist...does this make you angry? Do you hate being compared (even secretly) to "men" like this? Do you hate that they make it harder on the rest of you to have a decent conversation with a woman? I honestly believe that you do, and I commend you for it.

   Oh...and ladies...don't think you're getting off with a hall pass on this one. There are just as many snakes disguised as women lurking all over social media. Trust me...I've seen it. You know the type...fake pics and statuses meant to entice men, taken or not. Made up stories from the helpless damsel in distress to stir up sympathy. Yeah....we all know it exist. You give us good women a bad name and it pisses us off, as well.

   So, even though I fear this will fall on deaf ears, I have a plea to all who have a seat on the social media train. BE REAL. BE HONEST. BE HUMBLE and RESPECTFUL. Remember...there may come a time when you cross paths, in reality, with those you have interacted with in the virtual realm. Do you really want to have to explain your actions? Could you? Food for thought...

   All aboard...

   Blessed Be )O(

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely spot on! If a line is crossed and you let them know by ignoring, blocking, unfriending, or unfollow them, suddenly "you're the bad guy now". It's a shame that society no longer feels that respect or accountability needs to be in order here as a general rule. - GwenBPI

    ReplyDelete