Monday, November 23, 2015

50 Shades of Paranormal...

   I was pondering the future of paranormal television today. Not unlike I normally do, really. Considering all of the "poo" that has come out about some of the tv shows recently I'm sure I'm not the only one to give this some serious thought. That's when it occurred to me. Honestly, I can't believe it hadn't popped in my head before now.

   It's NO LONGER about the evidence. If it really ever was. How sad is that? I am actually sad over that thought. Really. Now, I'm sure you're wondering how I came up with that conclusion. Hold your horses...I plan on telling you. Promise.

   If you go back through history you will find that the paranormal field has always had it's share of tricksters. There have always been people who were willing to go to the extremes to prove ghost exist and completely threw ethics out the window to do it. That comes as no surprise. But we forget...today there is one big difference. Whereas before it was about claiming notoriety and coin in whatever area of the world you live in now it's about the same thing but the whole world is your audience.

   That's right, folks. We live in an age where the world is a stage and we are all wannabe actors looking for our big break. Well...not really all of us but enough of us. This wouldn't be a problem if we were talking about plays or movies...but we aren't. We're talking about something so much more important. The ability to understand, communicate and interact with loved ones after they have passed on. Beats the hell out of a movie any day, in my book.

   Where my 50 Shades comes into play is how it is decided who we get to see accomplish the miraculous feet of chatting with the dead. Yep...you got it...it's sex appeal. Looks. Gotta be a hottie. Biggest boobs. Fakest hair. Loudest scream...etc, etc, etc. Everything that doesn't mean diddly squat to the spirit you are communicating with. You see, I liken this to the 50 Shades books because, if you think about it, you will realize how you have been manipulated by the theory behind the idea. Now...before you get all mad at me and turn your computer off I want you to ask yourself this. If you have read the books, which I admittedly have not, would you have even been interested in them if the main male character lived in a trailer park? What if he weighed 300 lbs, had a beer belly and acne? Is your answer yes? Would you have read it? Paid money for it? No...I didn't think so. Because it's not fantasy. It's not "sexy". The same philosophy is applied to paranormal shows. It's about what is pleasing to the eye. Not the mind or the soul. Before you start talking about the paranormal investigator shows out there where this theory doesn't apply, cause I know a few exist, think about who is on them. Ask yourself if that is a fair depiction of the average investigator or is it much like what local news stations do at the scene of an accident. Do they find the person who can calmly explain the situation or do they go for the most colorful character they can find? You know, the one who has no idea what happened but sure is fun to watch?

   What it all boils down to, folks, is you. You decide what you will allow. Will you continue to be swayed by an industry who has no intention of providing quality investigations in the hopes of obtaining new evidence? Or will you stand up for what is right and say that you are smarter than that. That you love the shows for their entertainment value but you would also like to see what is really going on. That you deserve the truth, even if it isn't "sexy". Food for thought...

Blessed Be )O(

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa.
    I feel that we the people that believe in the paranormal have become lazy. It's easier to turn to a channel and accept what we see, especially when the only vision we see is the hosts, not the ghosts.Sex will sell all as it has been clearly demonstrated again and again.
    For me i do the research on an author that i have confidence in, follow their recommendations for others in the field of which i am interested in and enjoy the read. I suppose those days are getting rare now, to sit and read , but it works for me
    In summery, research and reading take energy a skill taught, but often forgot..
    Steven Currie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! We fail to remember we have opinions too. Likes and dislikes. A brain. We follow like sheep instead of demanding quality over quantity. I want to change that.

      Delete
    2. I agree!! We fail to remember we have opinions too. Likes and dislikes. A brain. We follow like sheep instead of demanding quality over quantity. I want to change that.

      Delete