Saturday, May 14, 2016

Storytime pt 2

   I had spent the day locked away from those who wished me gone.  Trying to make them understand had long since become something I cared not to do.  Let them wonder,  I thought to myself.  Let them have a moments peace without the reminder of who walked amongst them.

   I stifled a small laugh.  A chuckle,  to be true,  as I added a dash more of this and that to my mixture.  I watched as the fire danced,  embracing the pot like a lover.

   What a lovely scent,  the aroma of intent.  The words flowing from my lips like a song.  Lyrics written in my soul,  seared in my mind by years of lonelines.

   Unnecessary,  really.  I had never needed the pomp and pageantry of ritual to accomplish what I wished.  I needed no alliance of Gods or rare ingredient.  I simply wished and it was.  What I wanted would materialize,  before my very eyes, regardless of time,  distance or nature.

   This had been to my detriment in the beginning.  The beacon that led all eyes to me.  As a babe it had,  understandably I must admit, struck fear into those whom had witnessed it.  I cannot blame them,  really.   I can only imagine their astonishment watching a rattle travel through mid air only to land in my tiny hand.

   Ahhhh....how they must have tried to convince themselves they imagined it.  Tis a pity I cannot fully remember those times.  My only knowledge stems from stories told in whispers not meant for my ears.

   No....my own memories are far less comforting.  They are swaddled in tears and pleading for understanding.  Cloaked in resignation when realized compassion will never come.  Housed in a heart made of ice that burns like fire knowing the only reason they live is because I show them something never given to me.....

   Mercy.

3 comments: